Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Start of an Adventure


Enough preaching for a while. Now, its time for some real Kick-Ass Man Training. As long as I can get the photos to upload I’m going to take you on a step-by-step of how to lower a 1963 Ford F-100 Step Side ‘70’s style.

A stack of years ago my beautiful wife offered to buy me a 1963 Ford F-100 Step Side for my birthday (this happens to be the exact truck that I drove when we were dating). At that moment I instantly remembered this old truck that sat in front of a house in Lyman for as long as I could remember. I also remember the stories of all the people that had tried to buy said truck of the old rancher, to no avail.

Not to be deterred I decided that this was the truck for me. I approached the owner and asked him the story of the old truck and here is a little history on the patient; this diamond it the rough started out as a ranch truck in Lyman, Wyoming. In the late ‘60’s the owner blew up the motor, which coincided with him wrecking his beloved ’66 Fastback Mustang. In true redneck fashion he pulled the 289 cid (v8) and C4 automatic out of the Mustang and replaced the 200 cid (straight six) and three speed.  Anyone who knows anything about Ford pickups knows there is more than enough room for the swap and with the help of a stick welder the rancher transformed this truck into the exact specimen that I was looking for.

As I stood there starry eyed, hanging on his every word I finally found the courage to ask him if it was for sale.
“Well” he starts, “I was never going to sell this old truck, has to many memories, besides I always wanted one of my boys to take it and fix it up. But a couple weeks ago my son tells me it ain’t worth nothin and they didn want it.”

I was crushed. Till he says, “But I need $500.00”, (I can’t remember why, probably didn’t even here him), “and if that to much well, its yours.”

I have never counted out money as fast as I did that day. The truck made its long trip back to my house, about an hour and a half and became an ongoing project.

Now that’s a lot to take in so I’m going to work on getting pictures uploaded and I’ll continue with the story from there.

Till next time,
C


No comments:

Post a Comment