Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A little history


My name is Cory and I am dedicating this blog to all the workingmen out there that have found themselves out of work, to no fault of their own, but to the economic unrest that the country has found itself in. I’m not going to blame the politicians, the banking industry, or the media. I blame the general population of the United States of America.

I have been a successful part of the custom residential home industry since 1993 and have made a good living designing immaculate homes for the populous. Like most, I reaped the benefits of individuals qualifying for homes well outside their means, and watched as people were swayed into predatory loans that were designed for failure. I’m not saying that I, or most in the home industry, were directly involved with convincing home buyers to use these loans, but I didn’t say anything to deter it. I always figured the client is a grown up and can make his/her own decision.

The old builders told every day that this was going to be short lived and the bubble will pop. They would tell us that it was going to be worse than the ‘ 80s and we should all prepare. Although, we knew it couldn’t last none of us believed it would totally crash. We should have listened.

We enjoyed having so much work we had to turn it away and having the ability to charge whatever we wanted because we knew we would get it. Our egos inflated out of control and we thought we were untouchable. We were wrong.
In the fall of 2007 everything came crashing down. The old builders were right and none of us were ready. Companies went out of business, and craftsmen were left with nothing. I was one of them.

I bounced around trying to get my feet under me, tried to maintain my dignity. All the while I blamed everyone else. My ego wouldn’t allow me to admit to myself that I had worked myself out of a job. Finally, after four years of trying to make entry level positions work, I find myself unemployed.

By now you, the reader, are wondering why this even matters. Here it is; I am tired of listening to people in my position play the “Woo-is-me” card. Enough.

Its time to get off your ass and take your life back.

Stay tuned and I'll tell you what I mean.

thanks for visiting
C

No comments:

Post a Comment